The liver and its many activities:
Many times patients are told by an acupuncturist in our office that their symptoms are partly or completely due to the liver having problems. Although it is not the root of all evil, the liver has 600 functions, so when the liver falters it can cause many people to have a wide variety of symptoms.
It is commonly accepted in Western medicine that the liver performs the following functions:*
• Bile production and excretion
• Excretion of cholesterol, hormones, drugs and other particles
• Metabolism of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates
• Enzyme activation
• Storage of certain hormones, vitamins, and minerals
• Creating plasma proteins and clotting factors
• Blood detoxification and purification
In Oriental medicine, it is known that the liver additionally performs many other functions, including more subtle activities such as allowing for a person to adapt to the stresses of life.
Your liver is a very important organ that should be well cared for.