- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained well
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained well
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chili peppers, hot or mild, drained
- 1 cup whole kernel corn, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Sea or kosher salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups bread crumbs
- 1/3 barbecue sauce, no sugar added (look for one that has honey or molasses)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet add oil, turn to medium-low heat and sauté onions until tender, about 4 minutes. Add kidney beans, black beans, green chili peppers and corn, continue to sauté until beans soften up, about 3 minutes. Add oregano, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, salt and cayenne pepper, stir to combine.
Combine, in a large mixing bowl, bean mixture and bread crumbs. Lightly spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray, add bean mixture, shape into a loaf. Bake for 30 minutes, add barbecue sauce and bake 1 additional minute. Remove from oven and allow to set 5 minutes. Cut into 8 slices and carefully remove each slice with a spatula.
Tip: This loaf is perfect for leftover sandwiches. After being refrigerated overnight, the loaf holds together really well.